Sunday, June 7, 2009

Update

OK, my blueberry bushes aren't doing so well. I discovered huge black bugs crawling all over them. Checked the internet, and they are "weevils." I think of weevils as small white grubs that get into food, so it was a disconnect for me, but they target berry plants and the little ones eat the roots and around the base of the plant and kill them. So, there really isn't any insecticide for these critters. David and I were out there yesterday trying to capture them. They don't like water and they move slowly. With a small kitchen sieve we scooped them up as they floated in the water we flooded the plants with and put them in an empty food carton and stashed them in the trash. Time will tell whether or not the bushes survive, and I suppose we'll have to do another inspection next week to make sure we got them all. This is the yucky part of trying to grow things.

Much to my relief, the solar eclipse in May of 2012 is only a partial eclipse viewable in part of North America. The big one (full eclipse) is in November 2012, I believe, and the party will be in Australia. I will rest well tonight knowing that the small eclipse will be eclipsed by the large eclipse.

I still don't have a solution for my inability to post on a few select blogs. Yes, Julianne, I still love you--your blog just won't allow me to comment.

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Hopefully the bushes will pull through. Dealing with bugs is the yucky part of growing things - that a weeding. I hate them both so much that I am not even tempted to garden.

Austin's Mommy said...

Did you try spraying them with dish soap? I hear it suffocates them without harming the plant.