Tuesday, August 30, 2011

At Last, Summit Kitchen



Let's start with the old. I found this picture in the "archive" and it shows most of my old kitchen. The door at the back goes into a small laundry area and another door beyond that leads to the garage. The door is the only part of the kitchen which didn't change. You can see a corner of the stove on the left. It was pretty small.


We blew out the back wall and incorporated part of the back porch into the new space. It didn't change the roof line or the footprint, but you can see the black pipes that were in the old exterior wall, and the holes in the concrete pad where the plumbing had to be moved--big, big job!

Here's the view from the living room into the new kitchen. I'm not much of a photographer, but we do love this kitchen. The big island contains the sink and dishwasher, and has enough room for up to 7 bar stools. There is only one upper cabinet, and since it contains the microwave, the shelf space is not very accessible. Therefore, the dishes and glasses are in drawers; we're getting used to it.

I didn't clean up before the photo shoot, so please ignore the mess. I love all the new appliances. The space is a little tight around the sink, but when it's just me it is super convenient. I will be shuffling things around to get them in the right places for awhile, and in the meantime I'll just enjoy it.

The dining table was a mess, and the picture I took of it was too dark. You are looking across the island to the dining area which is toward you on the right, and the back door. I just managed to delete the last picture!! But you get the idea. And yes, all those tomatoes, etc, are from my garden, harvested yesterday. Come and see us, and while you're at it, you can hang out in our new family kitchen. Window coverings are under contemplation. Any recommendations? I thought I would do custom (made by me) Roman shades, but I am reconsidering.


8 comments:

Sandy Brunson said...

It looks so bright and open! I love it. And I want to partake of the goodness of your garden. Ours is a little lacking this year due to several hail storms.

MaryAnn said...

Looks good. I will have to stop sometime when I am driving through!

Barbara said...

It was best to let you add the text :) Looks great.

Grammyzanne said...

Looks beautiful Lynda! It is nice to have a kitchen you can move around in!

As to window treatments - how much privacy do you need/want? My big problem with Roman shades is all the string it leaves dangling when they are up. (Worrisome with little ones around.) I would be seriously tempted to do tabbed curtains that could be left pulled back most of the time.

Mary Ann said...

It looks fabulous! We'll have to stop by to see it sometime.

Robinson Family said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL kitchen! I absolutely love it, and it looks like you're quite the designer. Have fun enjoying your new space! Maybe someday we'll be able to see it. I'm a little envious of your garden produce too. Next year...

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I am anvious of the bright beautiful kitchen and the tomatoes! Too bad Summit is so far away!

Jim said...

Your kitchen looks beautiful! Carol Ann