Sunday, June 15, 2008

To Put This Episode To Rest

As those of you who have been following my posts know, Friday I was discharged from the hospital. After a "demo" shot I gave myself in the hospital, I had to do two additional injections, then have blood drawn on Saturday. I had a miserable time getting a report from the on call doctor which would determine the course of further treatments (including more self-administered injections) and dosage. I made three calls to the answering service yesterday before I finally found out that after inching up slowly over the course of my hospital stay, the level of blood thinner took a dramatic jump from Friday to Saturday: no more shots and a reduced dose of Coumadin!! Almost as good, no more blood draws until next Friday! So I am home with few restrictions. I will be on the blood thinner for 6 months with periodic checks over the course of treatment. I finished Jane's blanket I was working on, and we are heading back to the salt mine tomorrow. Since I didn't leave the air conditioning on and no one had a key, I anticipate finding dead houseplants and cockroaches to greet me. It has been a week of reflection and reassessment. I don't know what the fallout is yet, but I certainly have a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Glad to hear things are starting to get where they're supposed to be. Unexpected Detours can be a bit frustrating. I hope for the best for your houseplants and you :)

Lynda/Mom said...

Yes!! My houseplants and outside potted plants all survived 11 days without water in the scorching Las Vegas heat! Miracles can happen. Also, I only found 1 very small dead roach in my sink--I envisioned crawling black water bugs scurrying around everywhere, so if they invaded my house they have hidden themselves well. So thankful I am to return and find all well.