Monday, June 9, 2008

Unexpected Detour

Well, we got up bright and early this morning to drive from Summit to Las Vegas and loaded up the car. I have had some pain in my leg just above the knee for a few days, and this morning it had turned red. We decided to stop in Cedar City at the emergency room since I had no reasonable expectation of being able to see a doctor in Las Vegas on short order. After a quick check by the on-call doctor and an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis--good news: not in a major vein. They admitted me and put me on heparin and Coumadin and I am stuck here until things improve; they are saying probably three days anyway. At least I have my laptop and internet access, but I am sure to be bored out of my mind before too long. On the bright side, they told me in the emergency room that they have had people drive to Cedar City from Las Vegas because it is faster to drive here, be seen, and drive back home than to wait in the Las Vegas hospital emergency rooms. And they are taking good care of me--I was diagnosed in an hour, which is amazing. So until further notice, I am holding court at the Cedar City hospital--not the way I expected to spend the week.

3 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

Good you got the dianosis and treatment started quickly. Sorry for the trials it presents. They never really did determine what caused Richard's DVT.

Hope treatment works rapidly and you are able to be about your business soon.

Laura Stringham said...

Sorry mom, I know you must be so bored. I wish I could leave the kids here and come keep you company.

Danielle said...

We are looking forward to having you come back up to Salt Lake after your recovery. We haven't seen you in such a long time. Hopefully we can keep you entertained with the blogs. I plan on posting again soon!